Tuesday, June 30, 2009

You Can’t Touch This

Recently I decided to catch up with a friend of mines, Yolanda Holck aka Yo-Yo from Hawaii.  Some of you may know the name but even if you don't you sure can’t forget the body (that is if you watched MC Hammer videos back in the day). She is the light-skin girl you used to always see in the biker shorts dancing behind Hammer Anyway, I decided to interview her about the hows and whys of the Hammer experience and here it goes:

 

Yo Yo 

me-
How did you become a dancer for MC Hammer?

Y-
well i battled all his dancers at the point after club and battled all his dancers one by one and then called out Hammer on the dance floor that was my audition.

me-
That was a bold move! What made you decide to do that?

Y-
I was mad at some military men that i was suppose to dance with them to open up for Hammer
so I was pumped up and danced battled my ass off that when i did that Hammer watch me for a long time and asked me to come to the back room, he then gave me an interview and asked me what I did and if I would leave with him and needed to pack my bags in 2 hours and meet him in the lobby.  i was wearing hammer gold pants and a gold vest,I was ready!

me-
Nice!  So you was like” forget them dudes, I’ma just straight up battle my way in!”  Dopeness!!!  What was you doing before the whole Hammer thing?

Y-
I was teaching dance classes at the YMCA for boys and helping them stay out of gangs and into dancing. We were called Club 21 "Cool Ladies Unique Boys Together as One”.  The slogan was "Stay off the streets and get with the beat!" They were Filipinos

me-
all filipinos?

Y-
Yes,I was in the Manog Association for University of Hawaii helping low income kids teaching them discipline and dance.   it was a very poor building and we didn't have much we had a radio with a pencil in the tape cassette holder to play and we didn't have a studio.Now, my kids rap and dance like me. I made them famous too  they rap, breakdance and hiphop.  They performed for 4 nights with me and Hammer on stage

me-
Kool!  Now all this happened in Hawaii right?  I bet it was a big change for you after you joined Hammer's entourage.

Y-
yeah,  I met everyone too 357 was there Ho Frat Ho and B Angie B was there too.

me-
What were some of your memorable moments while on tour and working with Hamma?

Y-
well there is a lot.  I would say staying in the penthouse at the Plaza Hotel in NY, Micheal Jackson was there too.  Being on Oprah and the American Music Awards live.

me-
Ok, I see you was getting your star on, but I know there had to be some "oh hell no" type moments as well.

Y-
yes BET Awards and the Arsenio Hall Show, meeting James Brown
and meeting Easy E he was with me holding my hand on the plane.

me-
Sounds interesting.  So what you been up to since the Hammer days and what are your plans for the future?

Y-
well I was rappin with Hammer on stage in japan at the Sony concert plus, I rapped on his shows and I had talking parts on his show and then i started rapping as 50yizzo

 

We had a interesting conversation some of which I cant really share with you but I will keep you posted on what’s going on with Yo-Yo aka 50yizzo in the future.

Digg This

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amazing, she is really hot, and I LOVE THIS SONG!!